How to Make the Best Moist Coffee Cake?
The key to making a moist coffee cake is to not over-bake it. You’ll know the cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Another tip is to use buttermilk in the batter. This helps to create a tender crumb that is both moist and delicious. Finally, be sure to use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature butter, eggs, and milk blend together more easily and produce a more consistent cake batter.
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
Ingredients for cream cheese coffee cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened;
- 1/2 cup sugar;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour;
- 1 teaspoon baking powder;
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda;
- 1/4 teaspoon salt;
- 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened;
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk just until combined (batter will be thick).
- Reserve 2 cups of batter; spread thy remaining batter evenly into a prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth; spread over the batter in pan.
- Pour reserved batter over the cream cheese mixture; spread evenly.
- In another small bowl, whisk together all topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Crumble Topping Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour;
- 3 tablespoons sugar;
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces;
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the coffee cake before baking. Enjoy!
Vanilla Glaze Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar;
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk or cream;
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk or cream, and vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled coffee cake. Serve and enjoy!
How to Pick the Best Cream Cheese for This Cake?
When it comes to the cream cheese for this recipe, it’s best to use a full-fat block cream cheese. The low-fat or whipped varieties do not have enough stability to hold up in the cake batter during baking. In terms of brand, we recommend using Philadelphia Cream Cheese for the best flavor and texture in this coffee cake.
Does Coffee Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
This cream cheese coffee cake can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 days. It can also be refrigerated for up to 4-5 days. To reheat, simply microwave individual slices for a few seconds to enjoy warm. The crumble topping may become slightly soft when refrigerated, but it will still taste delicious. You can also freeze this coffee cake for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave before serving.
What Are Some Tips for Making a Cream Cheese Coffee Cake?
Here are a few tips to help make this coffee cake even more delicious:
- use full-fat cream cheese for the filling – it will give the best flavor and texture;
- for even more flavor, add a teaspoon of your favorite extract (such as almond or lemon) to the cream cheese filling;
- make sure all ingredients are at room temperature; this will ensure a smooth batter and evenly baked cake;
- don’t overmix the batter, as this can result in a dense cake texture. Mix just until combined;
- for added flavor, try mixing in 1/2 cup of your favorite berries or chopped nuts into the cream cheese filling;
- for even more deliciousness, serve with a drizzle of vanilla glaze or a dollop of whipped cream on top;
- if you want an extra layer of flavor, try mixing 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract into the glaze before drizzling over the cooled cake.
What Are Some Common Mistakes People Make?
What follows are some common mistakes to avoid when making a cream cheese coffee cake:
- not using full-fat cream cheese for the filling – using lower fat versions can result in a less creamy texture;
- overmixing the batter – this can lead to a dense and tough texture in the final cake;
- using cold ingredients – letting ingredients come to room temperature before mixing will result in a smoother batter and more even baking;
- not allowing the cake to cool completely before adding the glaze – if the cake is still warm, the glaze may melt and not set properly;
- not experimenting with flavor variations – try adding in berries or nuts, or incorporating different extracts into the filling and glaze for added flavor.
Overall, the key is to not be afraid to experiment and have fun with your coffee cake creation!