Is Banana Cake, Dessert or Breakfast?
Banana cake can be enjoyed as either a dessert or breakfast. If you want to enjoy it as a dessert, serve it with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. If you want to enjoy it as breakfast or brunch, serve it with a cup of coffee or tea. You can also add nuts or chocolate chips to the batter for flavor surge.
What’s the Difference Between Banana Cake and Banana Bread?
Both banana coffee cake and banana bread use mashed bananas as their main ingredient, but the texture and flavor are slightly different. Banana bread is denser and more similar to traditional bread, while banana coffee cake has a lighter texture and often includes a streusel topping.
Does Coffee Cake Have Coffee?
The answer to this question is no. While coffee cake is typically served with coffee, there is no coffee in the cake itself. The name “coffee cake” comes from the fact that it is often served with coffee.
How to Make the Best Banana Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature;
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar;
- 2 large eggs, beaten;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour;
- 1 teaspoon baking powder;
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda;
- 1/4 teaspoon salt;
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium, ripe bananas).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until it is soft and foamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and top with a streusel topping (recipe below). Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before serving.
Easy Banana Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour;
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar;
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon;
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted;
- 1 ripe banana, thinly sliced.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour in the melted butter and mix until crumbly.
- Top the banana coffee cake batter with thin slices of banana and evenly sprinkle the crumb mixture on top.
- Bake as directed above. Enjoy!
Streusel Topping / Crumb Topping Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add in the butter pieces and mix with a fork or your hands until well combined and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top of the banana coffee cake batter before baking.
How to Use This Recipe to Make Muffins
To make muffins instead of a cake, simply pour the batter into a muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. You can also add chocolate chips or some dried fruit to the batter before baking for added flavor and texture. Enjoy as a grab-and-go breakfast or snack!
How to Ripen Bananas in the Oven
If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, you can easily ripen them in the oven. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and place unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the skins are dark and spotted. Let them cool before using in this banana coffee cake recipe.
How Do I Remove My Coffee Cake From the Pan?
To easily remove the cake from the pan, run a knife around the edges to loosen it before flipping the pan over onto a plate or serving platter. Gently tap on the bottom of the pan until the cake releases. Be sure to let it cool completely before attempting to remove it from the pan. Alternatively, you can also line your baking pan with parchment paper before pouring in the batter for easy removal.
How to Jazz Up Your Coffee Cake?
Try adding in different mix-ins such as nuts (e.g. pecans), chocolate chips, dried fruit, or even a swirl of Nutella before baking for added flavor and texture. You can also top the baked cake with a drizzle of melted chocolate or a dusting of powdered sugar before serving. Get creative and have fun with it! Happy snacking with your moist banana cake!